COVID-19 Update

By President, Jon Wilson.

At the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 25 March, Treasurer, Will Comensoli and I provided an update on the impact of the Coronavirus Pandemic, and the actions that we are taking as a Committee. As a guiding principle, the Committee is committed to putting the health and safety of our members, employees and guests first, and we will always be making decisions on this basis. The Club will also comply with relevant government directions, and requires all members to do so as well.

Jindabyne and Perisher Lodges are now CLOSED

Based on the current guidance from the Australian, ACT and NSW Governments, the Committee have taken the decision to close both lodges, effective immediately. The initial closure period will last until 31st May, with this date subject to ongoing review. While closed, members and guests should not be visiting Club lodges – this includes Overnight Accommodation, Day Trips and Work Parties.

At this stage no decision has been taken in regard to Peak season commencing on 12 June. We are continuing to monitor government advice, and are awaiting guidance from Vail, Thredbo Resorts and NPWS on the impact on the upcoming ski season. Also, Snow Australia has been providing updates on events such as Interschools.

100% credit for bookings affected by lodge closure

For any bookings that are affected by a lodge closure, a 100% credit will be provided to the booking organiser – even if a cancellation has already been requested. This policy affects all bookings during April / May.

For bookings that are scheduled to commence after 1st June, we encourage members to wait for further advice regarding lodge availability before making decisions regarding these bookings. If a decision is taken to extend the closure of the lodges, then the 100% credit policy will apply, so there is no need to pre-empt this decision.

All future bookings are being WAITLISTED

Given the uncertainty regarding how long the lodges may need to remain closed, the Committee has also taken the decision to WAITLIST any future bookings requests. Members can continue to make booking requests, but no payment (or confirmation) will be permitted until there is more certainty in regard to lodge availability.

Development of a Business Continuity Plan (BCP)

In order to allow the lodges to re-open, and to provide a safe environment for our members, employees and guests, a number of changes are expected to our lodge operations. The Committee is currently developing a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) which will describe these changes, and this will be distributed to members before the lodges are re-opened.

Financial Implications

The Club enters this year in a strong financial situation. We are ahead on our loan repayments, and have sufficient cash reserves to sustain the Club through 2020. Nevertheless, we will be looking to sustain our cash position, both by reducing expenses, and by investigating options for additional financial support.

Staying Updated

The Committee are closely monitoring the situation, and will provide updated advice as necessary. To receive timely information, we recommend subscribing to Skimail (please email if you do not currently receive this).

If you have any questions or need any support, please email me on or call me (contact numbers are available in Frozen Acres).

Laura Peel Wins Freestyle Aerials Crystal Globe

Laura Peel, a member of the CAC since she was a little girl, has recently won the Freestyle Aerials Crystal Globe. Congratulations to Laura for her great achievement!

For more information, please see the recent Canberra Times article at the following link: